A crown is a tooth-colored, high-quality restoration for damaged teeth that can not be repaired with simple fillings or inlays. Dental crowns are available in various designs, depending on requirements in professional dental treatment.
When is a crown necessary?
A dental crown is needed when a tooth is so destroyed that it can no longer be functionally built up by a filling or inlay. Also, a root-treated tooth that is supplied with a casting pin can be equipped with a dental crown. Dental crowns are equally well used on implants, bridge restoration and for functional and aesthetic reasons.
Steps to the tooth crown
- Removal of caries and old fillings, decision of the tooth, precision impression, bite taking, color selection and production
- a provisional crown (1st date)
- Dental technician manufactures the individual substructure (= coping) in the laboratory
- Try-in of the cap on accuracy of fit (marginal) and bite taking (2nd date)
- Completion of the crown by the technician
- Try-in and attachment of the crown (3rd date)
- Control appointment after one week (4th date)
What are the quality criteria of a dental crown?
From an aesthetic point of view, it is important that the tooth crown is indistinguishable from a natural tooth. A perfect edge closure means that the crown goes smoothly and smoothly into the tooth.
When eating food, no food particles should get stuck between the teeth and when cleaning the interdental spaces, the floss should not get stuck or tear.
Which types of crowns are differentiated?
VMK (facing metal crown)
A cap made of gold or semi-precious metal is veneered with ceramic
- Advantage: aesthetic and consistent supply
- Disadvantage: In the cervical area, the metal rim can become visible when the gums recede
The metal-free zirconia coping (white) is veneered with ceramic
- Advantage: nevertheless, aesthetically pleasing in gum recession
Represents highly aesthetic care in the anterior region.
How can I keep my crown for as long as possible?
Good home-based oral hygiene by the patient and the use of flossing and additional fluoridation 1xpro week protect your crown. Regular checks at the dentist as well as regular professional oral hygiene in the office and a healthy diet are important measures for obtaining dental crowns as long as possible.
We want to treat each one of our patients individually. Thus, unfortunately, we can not offer a flat rate for the placement of a dental crown, it depends on the needs of the patient and the duration of the treatment.
Only after a preliminary examination, the exact price for the treatment can be set, in a consultation, we answer all your questions.